Monday, March 23, 2015

Angry Leprechaun

It was like the sound of angry bees. A maleficent ball of sentient particulates brewing an unearned vengeance on the poor Maggie Malone O'Connel Donehue. The poor bastard didn't even get a chance to explain. He gave it back when he found out the gold belonged to them. Had he known how evil the little shits were he'd just made a wish and been done with them.

Part of the reason people don't believe in the Leprechaun is they didn't realize how tiny they were. Ugly green or orange fur covering their bodies. Mindless unless being spiteful. Bugs really. Nasty, mean, callus, angry things. That live off of gold. So why would they ever lose a coin. 
Maggie Malone dashed around a tree and slid down a hill to a path that lead to a distant cottage. The sight refilled the drained hope in his heart. "Wife!" he yelled. "Wife, open the door."
He was getting close but the door was not opening. "Aine, you ol' bat, open the door." He reached the door just as she was opening.
"What's with this?" She was asking when he ran into her.
He untangled himself enough to get to the door and slam it shut.
"What is your fool mind thinking ye daft gombeen."
"Wife. I's a fool like none you ever call me."
She stood up the severity of his plight sinking in.
"You gamble way the meat money again?"
"No wife. I ne'er made it."
He finally stepped away from the door and looked out the window. 
"Go on, I'm no fey to be lookin through your barren head."
"I found a coin. Yellow and shiny. I looked 'roun and saw not a track or trail so I placed in my pocket."
"A gold coin, who'd loose a thing like that."
"Well I figure I keep an ear out and maybe get a copper as thank you if not then it be ours outright."
"Why look for the gobshite who lost it." 
"Tis a good work to give that which burns in your soul my ma would say."
"Your ma's the one, named you Maggie."
"She wanted a daughter after five sons."
"She got one too, what hell you running from?"
"I put it in me pocket, and then saw the moss."
Aine opened her eyes. "You make a wish? Lord preserve us. Tell me you didn't make a wish."
"I thought it right to give it back."
"Oh Fek."
"They hadn't moved. I thought they'd not seen me yet. I was gon' give it back anywar."
Aine shifted back and forth then paced the house. "They chased you did they?"
"Yeah."
"You lost them?"
Maggie looked out the window again, then put his ear to the window.
"Yeah." he said.
"Well you dinnah make a wish that is good."
Nothing happened for awhile. Aine and Maggie began to relax. Not having any meat to go with it Aine started to make a cabbage and potato soup. “Oh, my right arm for an onion.” She said. 
“I got you onion,” Maggie Malone said and moved to the pantry, a small box in near the prep counter. “I put it in the cool box.”
He opened the door and the swarm burst forth. A few landed on him and they stung. Both he and Aine rushed back to knock on the central pillar of the house. It had started to sprout again so living wood in the house was a blesing. “What you go having clover in the cold box.” he said. looking for something to allow them a way out. 
The leprechauns started draining the home. It began to age as they stood there. Maggie Malone grabbed a blanket not being attacked by the creatures. threw it over himself and his wife and yelled in a whisper, “Run!”
They were almost to the door when the pests turned on them. Aine pulled the door open and they threw back the blanket. It was dust before they it hit the ground.
They ran for several yards before looking back.
“Shite, man that’s our home.”
“Well what you want me teh do about it?”
“Don’t pick up coins.”
“Don’t leave clover in hidden places.”
“It was for a poultice.”
“Well we were both trying to be good.” Maggie Malone said.
“Come let us get out of here. Come morning we’ll be up to our necks in gold and bad luck Let’s be somewhere safe.” Aine pulled Maggie Malone’s sleeve.
“I thought I should make a wish when I realized it were their gold. Get them off my back.”
“For now we loose our home and suffer their luck, but we can wait until they tire or find a new shite to hate on.”
“For the last time, woman, I only wanted to do what was right.”
“And I love you for it, you’re heart being so good it makes you a bit daft.”
There was a loud crash. Both turned to see their home fall to the ground. “
Frighteningly fast the flew right at Maggie. As it did the specks began to take form. Walking legs formed then hips and a torso. “Would you look at that” Aine said fasinated. 
A woman about four feet tall formed then voices. “Maggie Malone O’Connel Donahue. you are sentenced to death.”
“What fore I just gave you the money back. Not even money.”
The form melted into a man. It looked like a leprechaun. “I’m here to give you the charges.” and he did, Even Sam
UNFINISHED

No comments:

Post a Comment